Monday, November 17, 2008

Welcome to my Fantasy ...





I am finally here. Tampa, Florida. New York Yankees Fantasy Camp. I have been waiting to do this for years. It is finally time. Most people think of this Seinfeld clip when they think of Yankees Fantasy Camp. Quality is not good, but it is a funny 2 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z2ZPD-3i2s. This is the camp that is run by the Yankees and is held at the minor league complex in Tampa. I believe there is another camp call Heroes in Pinstripes which used to be a camp that Mickey Mantle was in charge of. I have no idea what to expect. I am here to have fun and take it all in. As I look at the roster there is 8 or 9 teams of 11-12 players. I am on the Sultans (Minor League team the Yankees represent in Mexico). My Legends are Phil Linz and Mike Torrez.

Who is Phil Linz? Phil was a back up infielder and played with Mets, Phillies and of course the Yankees in the early 60's. The story about Phil is that he was once playing a harmonica on the team bus after a loss and Yogi Berra (manager) told him to quite down. Phil did not hear him and when he asked Mickey Mantle what was said, Mickey said "play louder". Yogi ran to the back of the bus and knocked it out of his hands.

Who is Mike Torrez? I hope most of you know this, but in case you do not Mike is memorable in Yankee history for 2 very distinct reasons. Mike played ball for 18 years. As a Yankee he was the winning pitcher 2 times in the 1977 World Series. He was on the mound for the final out of the series. This was the Yankees first championship since 1962. The second reason Mike Torrez is a Yankee fixture is because of 1978. Not because he played for the Yankees, but he signed as a free agent with the Boston Red Sox. It was Mike who gave up the infamous Bucky Dent Home Run during the 1 game playoff to decide the AL East Winner.

I have not met them yet, but they are listed as the Legends for my team. I actually met Bucky earlier this year at a softball game at Yankee Stadium. I doubt he will remember me, but who knows. Stranger things have happened. Looks like I have 11 players on my team. We have a welcome reception tonight at the hotel where we will have a chance to mingle and ask for autographs. The players are very approachable. In the lobby during check in I saw Homer Bush, Tommy John, Bucky Dent and Jesse Barfield. I brought with me 24 baseballs and a replica Yankees home jersey to get signed. There is also a "special guest" that has not been announced yet. He ia scheduled to be at the stadium Tuesday at 4pm.

Tonight was great. Every player was respectful and willing to share stories, sign autographs and just hang. We ae dinner as teams. I was seated with Mike Torrez. Great guy. Lives outside Chicago and is actually happy in a way he gave up the home run to Bucky. Why? It has made him a lot of money. The only person not here on the list was Ken Griffey. And yes, Mick the Quick is here and looks great in his red sweat suit that I am sure someone is paying him to wear. Before coming upstairs I watched Oscar Gamble, Mickey Rivers +1 and Darryl Strawberry leave. I can only imagine where they are headed. As for me on Night 1, I am going up early. Watch some TV and get ready for the camp to begin. I can't wait.

Tomorrow begins the instensity of the camp. Shuttles leave at 7:15am. Tomorrow AM we have individual and team pictures in our home uniforms. Looks like there are 2 games a day as well as instruction, meals, silent auctions and time to spend with the players. I can't wait to find out what we get as gifts to take with us. Uniforms, bags, chotkies, etc ...

No comments: