Monday, June 29, 2009

The "NEW" Yankee Stadium...


The "New" Yankee Stadium has been open since April 2nd. So far so good! The Yankees were very generous by hosting fans on April 2nd (before any games were played) to an open practice in the afternoon. This was the perfect opportunity to take a tour of the stadium, see my seats for the season and enjoy a beautiful day in the Bronx. I took Max out of school for the day and we headed in. WOW!!! The stadium, from a structural standpoint, was magnificent. Brand new and empty. It was a chance to just roam around and take everything in, without the pressures of watching a game.


1st stop... Section 331, Row 1, Seats 1,2,3,4... For $40 a pop, perfect! No one in front of me and unlike the old stadium these seats actually faced home plate. The scoreboard is enormous and in HD. You could actually see the players coming out one by one in awe of how the stadium looked.


Max and I took in the sights from our seats, ate our hot dogs, chicken and fries and then moved onto walk around. Like I mentioned earlier, structurally this place is great. Watching a game though is a little different (will talk about that later).


We went down to the lower level and got seats in the 1st row in left field ready for batting practice. Max, with glove in hand was ready to go. After about 5-10 minutes of baking in the sun and yelling to Reggie Jackson (he decided to roam the outfield) a ball sailed right in our direction. I stood up, reached up and watched the ball go over my hand. it must of hit off someone behind us because it landed right at Max's feet. I grabbed the ball, put it in his glove and said "Max, way to go. You just caught a home run." I now had the happiest 4 1/2 year old in America. And to see his face was priceless and made me so happy. Obviously one day he will be able to read this and realize he didn't actually catch the ball, but I am going to run with it as long as I can.

No comments: