School usually marks the beginning and end of summer for kids. But for Dads it is Fantasy Football. And with drafts set to begin in the next six weeks, this summer will be over before you know it. My suggestion for you Dads out there... A trip to the ballpark. If you have not taken your son or daughter to a game, do it. Try and think back if you can remember the first time you went to a baseball game with your dad. If they are still around ask them if they remember. So if you are thinking, the kid wont remember a thing you may be correct. But you no doubt will remember it.
Some tips before you go:
Major League Game -- Kids (unless you have them very trained) will not last 9 innings and the cost and hassle to get to and from might not be worth it for you. I do suggest taking a look at stub hub the day of the game. I have used them three times this year for Yankee games and all three I have paid less than face value.
I am thinking a Minor League or Independent League Game is the way to go. Here in the New Jersey area your options are the following:
1) The Lakewood BlueClaws -- This is the "A" affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies. I am a fan of this option because it is easy to get to (off the Garden State Parkway). It is also one of the most fan friendly stadiums I have ever been to. This team is setting attendance records every year. Kids eat free. In Left Field is an entire playground/bounce area for the kids.
2) The Trenton Thunder -- This is the "AA" affiliate for the New York Yankees. Again, another great option the baseball is a little bit better and the stadium us very friendly. Kids eat free here as well. Face paiting, contests and a mini park with bounce area.
3) The Newark Bears -- If you want to enjoy a ball game and then head to the Ironbound district for some good food, I suggest the Newark Bears. Independent League Baseball is NOT the Minor Leagues and teams are NOT associated with major League Teams. This league and teams are run on there own. If you go to
you can see some of the former Major League players on the current roster. In addition to the players, the Manager is former New York Yankee Tim Raines. And the pitching coach is also former New York Yankee Mike Torrez.
4) The Somerset Patriots -- I have driven by the stadium (off 287) plenty of times, but never been. The manager of the team is former New York Yankee Sparky Lyle.
I would suggest checking out each website for promotional events (hat day, bobbl eheads, fireworks, etc...). There is no guarantee, but every game I have been to at least one of my kids has gotten a ball from a player or coach. Tickets to all 4 are very reasonable. he most expensive ticket might be $12 if you want to sit right behind the dugout, but it can be very cost effective day with the kids.
Enjoy!
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment