
Wow!!! It gets released on July 7th, but I had the fortunate experience of receiving an advanced copy of Marty Appel's masterpiece "Munson - The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain". Marty does an excellent job of bringing Thurman back to life. I was 5 years old when this tragedy occurred. My knowledge and memory of Thurman Munson is thru video and accounts of Thurman by teammates who have written books.
This book puts you in the living room the day he signed his Yankee contract. It puts you with Thurman when he meets Mickey Mantle for the first time. You can go behind the plate during the glory years of 76-78. And finally it tearfully brings you right to the airport and in the cockpit as Thurman left us for good in August of 1979. As well as in depth events with his teammates and friends the week following the loss of the first captain since Lou Gehrig. That is correct. No Mantle. No DiMaggio. Thurman Munson was the leader of team that desperately needed it. Not making the postseason since 1964, George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin bestowed this title to a well deserved man.
I grew up with Mattingly. My son is growing up with Jeter. I am jealous of anyone who grew up with Munson. He was true to himself, his teammates and his family. There is no doubt that Thurman was an exceptional husband and a father we all dream to be like.
Thank you Marty for the ability to read this book. I do not want to give too much away. This book is for fathers and grandfathers. This is a book the average baseball fan should pick up. And of course for you Yankee fans, you will never get any closer to Thurman Munson.
http://amazon.com (Keyword - "Munson")
No comments:
Post a Comment